Are you looking for a diabetes friendly meal that requires no cooking? Then Veggie Wraps recipe is great for you! This 30 minute meal is a great option for lunch and has lots of vegetables and fiber to keep you full.
Serves 4, 3 pinwheels each
4 large radishes
1 small carrot
1 cup salad greens
3 sprigs fresh herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro, or combination)
2 ounces low-fat Swiss or cheddar cheese
1 large, ripe avocado
¼ cup nonfat plain yogurt
3 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
Optional Ingredients: 5 ounces thinly sliced roasted turkey
1. Scrub and rinse radishes and carrots. Rinse salad greens. Pat all veggies dry.
2. Use a vegetable peeler to peel radishes and carrots into long, thin strips. In a medium bowl, collect veggie strips.
3. Rinse herbs. Pluck leaves off stems. Tear leaves into smaller pieces.
4. Rinse lemon. Zest using the small holes of a box grater. Cut in half and remove seeds.
5. Grate cheese.
6. Slice avocado lengthwise. Remove pit. Scoop avocado out of shell.
7. In a small bowl, use a fork to mash avocado. Stir in yogurt.
8. Squeeze a little lemon juice onto avocado mixture. Add herbs and a pinch of lemon zest. Stir.
9. Warm 1 tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds, or longer as needed.
10. Place the warm tortilla on a cutting board. Spread 1/8 avocado mixture over center of tortilla. Layer with 1/8 greens, 1/8 grated veggies, and 1/8 cheese. If using turkey, add 1/8 turkey now. Squeeze more lemon juice over the mixture.
11. Roll tortilla and toppings into a log shape. Use a knife to slice wrap into four “pinwheels.”
12. Repeat process for the other 2 tortillas. You will end up with a total of 12 pinwheels.
Use any of your favorite seasonal veggies in this wrap. Grate, chop, or peel into thin slices before adding.
Use 1 cup homemade guacamole in place of avocado.
Community Food Bank’s mission is to provide food, nutritional education and advocacy for our neighbors in need within San Benito County.